The HardShell Barbenders team is comprised of Special Olympics Minnesota (SOMN) lifters who put the work in to get better, stronger
and more powerful.
MEET OUR COACHES
Head coach: Ben Swarts
If these photos are giving you some serious iron envy - join us!
We’re looking for volunteer coaches to support our lifters on their pursuit towards strength, power, and confidence. Coaches dedicate 1.5 hours per week for 4 months during the powerlifting season. If you’re a team player, absolutely love teaching, and enthusiastic about
inclusive powerlifting email Ben.Swarts@ThriveMighty.org.
MEET OUR LIFTERS
Nell Coonen - Korte
We lift together. We laugh together. We give back to our community together. Here are some of the things we’re incredibly proud of:
• GROWTH: we grew from 2 to 19 lifters in 3 years
• GIVE BACK: We’ve raised $25,000+ for SOMN
• IRON SHARPENS IRON: In the off-season, coaches & lifters train together
• ADVOCACY: Some of our lifters are SOMN Health & Wellness Ambassadors who advocate for inclusive health
• QUALITY: We train year-round because the quality of our team’s life & health is important